History of First Christian Church
Shortly after the Burlington Railroad pushed West through Iowa and the city of Creston was founded in 1870, the First Christian Church of Creston emerged. Organized on August 15th, 1872 by George W. Emmerson, it met for three years in the homes of its nine charter members. In 1875, the congregation called its first minister, Thomas V. Berry who conducted services in his home.
The congregation built a small frame building on the corner of Elm and Mills which was dedicated December 10th, 1876. It wasn’t long, however, until this building was too small and a larger one was built on the same location and dedicated March 2nd, 1892.
During the ministry of E. E. Lister, the Masonic Temple was purchased in 1941 for $9,000.00 and another $7,000.00 was spent to remodel it. This building adequately served the needs of the congregation for almost 30 years and used by many community groups and organizations.
The congregation has served the spiritual life of Creston for almost one hundred years. It has worked in cooperation with other Christian Churches to serve the State of Iowa, the United States, and throughout the world. Seeking to uphold the teachings of the New Testament, it has worked to bring all Christians together in unity and harmony.
There have been 34 ministers who have served this congregation. In recent years, they include Ernest Worden, R. G. W. Collins, Byron Lamun, and Dianna Clark. Our present Pastor, Tony Thurston, began his ministry with the congregation in May of 2015.